Thursday, April 22, 2010

Backyard Bully

I was getting dinner ready last night and was taken aback by what I saw out the window. It took me several looks to figure out exactly what I was seeing.
I called the kids over and we all watched transfixed as a really big bird plucked and ate a smaller bird. He eventually flew away and took his kill with him, leaving no evidence except a yard full of feathers. Cool!
ps. I know it's not the greatest picture, but do you know what kind of bird this is?



3 comments:

Winters Wonderland said...

I think it is a Cooper's Hawk. I think they have the striped tail feather's like that. We had an injured one in our yard last fall being chased by a cat and we called a bird rescue place and they came and picked it up and said it was a Cooper's Hawk if I am remembering correctly.

Birding is Fun! said...

As Alvin's expert birder friend, I can confirm Heather's call of it being a Cooper's Hawk. Sharp-shinned Hawks are very , similar and are known for stalking backyard birds too. The size of your hawk, especially the head lead me to believe it is a Cooper's.

Kel said...

Yes, I concur with the hawk analysis. We have red-tailed hawks here, and one was stalking our neighborhood for a while. We all have mice and snakes.

Right after Bridgette was born, I was sitting out under our globe willow in the backyard with my 7 lb daughter and my small dog Piper when our resident hawk took a friendly dive to check out the situation. It wasn't diving claws extended, but it came within 20 feet of us. Suddenly I realized why humans are at the top of the food chain. Sure opposable thumbs and tool-making fit in somewhere, but I couldn't believe how fast my mama-hackles raised. In a split second I was more than prepared to defend my tiny baby at any risk to myself.

A nearby neighbor claims the hawk was stalking her miniature dogs too.